The holiday season is almost upon us! For some people, that means scrambling around to find "the best deal" on family photos to send out for Christmas cards. Let me tell you, I have been there and done that! Thinking to myself "wow I got a steal of a deal on this photographer!" And then.....I get the photos back........and I understand exactly why I paid so little.
Let me be clear, I do not want to put down another photographers work. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I definitely did too! Here's what I want to convey to you; it is so very important to consider more that just a photographer's pricing!! You should be searching for someone who will capture a memory, not just snap a few photos. You want to be looking at a photographer's body of work, not just their pricing. Trust me, there is ALWAYS a happy medium! There are so many incredibly talented photographers out there, and they come in EVERY price range!
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you find the right photographer for you and your family.
- Do I want my photographer to capture my family interacting with each other naturally, or do I want the photos to be posed? Or do I want a little of both?
- Do I want my final product to be digital, or would I rather have physical copies (ie canvases, framed photos, a photo album, small prints, etc) or a mixture of both?
- How do I want my photos edited? (ie-crisp, clear, and bright, or vintage/rustic, or dramatic, or maybe with a matte finish)
- Do I prefer a more intimate feel (ie-more close up) or do I prefer to see a lot of the location in the backround? Or do I like a mixture of both?
- Are the photographers photos edited consistently? (ie-is the quality the same throughout their body of work, or is there a definite difference from one photo to the next?)
Now here are a few questions you can ask your potential photographer.
- Do you have any specials or mini sessions running for the holidays?
- What is your turnaround? (So you can make sure you have enough time before the holidays!)
- How do I get my finished product? (Do we have to schedule an in person sales session? Do I get them via digital download? Do I get them via USB drive? Are my prints mailed to me?)
- What is your availability?
- Can I change outfits?
- How many people does the session include?
I know it can seem like a LOT to think about! But trust me, when you get your photos back this year, you will be glad you took the time to find the right photographer! Post your FAVORITE photo of yourself or your family below, I would LOVE to see them! And don't forget to credit your photographer ;)
This is one of my personal favorites taken of my oldest daughter :) The credit goes to a really great friend, who took our family photos in 2012.